So, this summer has been CRAZY busy for me. But, now that I am all moved and settled into our new apartment, I can share what I have been doing with my time! In May I was accepted as an intern at Milwaukee’s ReStore as a Repurposing Artist! It’s honestly the best job I’ve ever had and I wish it would never end…even though it will in August… 😦 It’s so amazing to get paid to repurpose!! I thought I’d use this opportunity to share what I have made so far! My creativity has been challenged and my patience has been pushed, and it has resulted in LOTS of learning experiences and great successes. Most of these things will be for sale at ReStore during the Third Ward’s Gallery Night and Day on July 25th 5-9PM and 26th 10-4PM.
My main goals at ReStore have been to repurpose items that are very broken down and probably wouldn’t sell, or things that were going to be thrown out. Here are some things I have made so far.
These are all things that I made for the glassware demo in which I gave instructions for how to accomplish each glass repurposing technique.
This is a frame that I spray painted white and made into a tray with added fabric underneath the glass.
This is the first thing I ever made at ReStore! It’s a DIY artwork with scrapbook paper and silver tissue. I also sprayed the wooden frame black and painted the matte white.
This is a collateral holder I was asked to create to display the brochures we give out at ReStore. The holders are made out of Mitre Boxes and I spray painted the table red.
This I call a re-painted painting. I did a herringbone pattern using Frog Tape and spray painted it gold.
This is a piece of fence that was going to get thrown out. But I saw the potential! I made it into a coat hanger! I used a dry brushing technique to make a rustic look and drilled in the hooks. TA DA!
This was an ugly, veneer bar cart. All it needed was some paint! I did the shelves black and the metal parts gold. Classic and always beautiful.
Here I took an ugly old table and an ottoman and made them one! I did a geometric pattern with Frog Tape for the top and stained the legs Jacobean. I love this one.
This was originally a tool chest that I turned on it’s side, threw some casters on and made it into a nightstand. I also cut some wood pieces and stained them for shelves on the inside.
This tall boy dresser was screaming for an update. I loved the vintage details and saw the potential. I used stain stripper on the top and drawer fronts and left those the natural wood color. I used a robin’s egg blue on the body of the dresser. I used all the original hardware. This one’s my favorite so far!
One more! I found this calligraphy desk and thought it was a perfect blank canvas for an update. Unfortunately I don’t have a complete “before” picture, but the top was just plain white and all stained and icky. I found this vintage map in a cracked frame and decided to decoupage it on top of the desk. I love this look!
That’s all for now! As you can tell I’ve been busy! Much more to come, and I’ll keep you posted!
Thanks for stopping. Have a lovely day!